Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mr A. R. Peter

Yesterday(20 Jun 2009), we got our 6th LADAP(Latihan Dalam Perkhidmatan). There were three slots. The first one about effective teaching. I miss this one since I was helping Amu with printing ULBS. There was a little problem with the program because it failed to print. We called a few people to help us with that, but to no avail.



Amu went back to her house to take the external drive A since the new computer does not have one. We export all the data into a ploppy disc, then run the program in another computer. Thank God we managed to print. By the time we printed everything, the other teachers went out from the hall to have a break. So we miss the first talk. I ask around, some teachers commented that we didn't miss much eventhough we were not there.



The second talk was given by our former principal Mr A R Peter. I would rate the talk '9'(in the scale from 1 to 10-leave 1 more for perfection). It was a very interesting talk and the topic is about being an Effective Teacher. I think I benefited so much from his talk. Eventhough he used the old fashion method of presentation(he used OHP instead of LCD projector) I found everything he had to say beneficial. He is very experienced man, he mixed his talk with some jokes(some of the jokes I read already, but they sound eve funnier when you share the jokes with a lot of people). I laughed alot. I didn't notice that time flew so fast because when he concluded his talk, it was like after 1 pm already. I wouldn't mind if the man wanted to continue his talk some more. I also like to hear the way he talked. His English was perfect. Before he started his talk, he made this comment, he gave the talk in English because he knows that the teachers' English is better than his BM. He got the point there.



One of the jokes that I still rememeber:

A Malay taxi driver was driving a taxi in KL. One night a beatiful lady got a ride from him. The lady sat in the front. The lady wanted to have a tour in KL. So the man took her and they got to be very friendly. Even the man got to kiss her. When the night ended, the taxi driver confessed; "Saya minta maaf sbb tak berterus terang, sebenarnya saya dah kahwin." The lady replied," Saya juga minta maaf sbb tak berterus terang, nama saya yang sebenarnya Salleh, bukan Sally." Hahaha........ I really had a good laugh after listening to the joke.


Besides jokes, I still remember some of the ingredients he gave us on how to be a good teacher.



  • Undersatand the students, get to know them and their background

  • No matter how bad the kids are, we must trust there are always some good in them, so try to dig the good in each student.

  • Treat them with equality regardless of their background.
  • Not to judge the students too harshly

  • Not to punish them in the moment of anger.
  • Make the class lively by giving some jokes also.

  • Ask the students to decide what type of punishment they deserve
  • Teachers must know their stuff

Well, there are a lot more, but I think I don't need to list all of them. I wish I know this man before since I know I could learn alot from him.


No comments:

Post a Comment