Saturday, August 22, 2009

PMS (Version 2)

This story happened long time ago when I was studying in the United States(Rockland Community College, Suffern New York). It was summer 1982.

Imagine how we fast during summer because the day was longer than night. We started fasting about 4 am and only can break our fast about 8.30 pm. The temperature (it was about 100degrees F) also didn't contribute to our comfort. Some of us took summer courses and some of us just lazying around. Many of us who didn't have class went sight seeing in New York City or some other cool places like Niagara Falls.

It happened during the month of Ramadan. The Malay community there was small. There were about 30 of us. Once a week, we girls cooked something special and we broke our fast together. As for me, I was just helping only since I was not that good in the kitchen.(Learned to cook only after I got married)

The next day, I didn't fast because it was that 'time of the month'. I was cooking something (only goreng telur) in the kitchen for breakfast. At the same time my roommate was talking on the phone to her boyfriend(now her husband). And the phone happened to be in the kitchen. He heard the noise of my cooking and asked what was that noise. My friend said "Biah tengah basuh pinggan yang lepas makan semalam". Takkan nak cakap I was cooking when everybody suppose to fast. Her boyfriend told the boys about me washing the dishes, and they felt bad since the dishes was used by them the previous day. He didn't know it was a lie to cover me eating in the day time of Ramadan.

The moral of the story is, after that incident, the boys would wash the dishes after each gathering. And the girls didn't need to clean up the dishes after each gathering. At least they can rest after they were quite tired cooking the food for them.

1 comment: